Sunday 19 July 2015

Bad pension planning


It is a test pit

Most of the archaeological activities are suitable only to the children over 8 years of age or so, the age limit set by the Young Archaeologist Club as well, if I remember correctly. Thus, it was delightful to have an archaeological project who deliberately tried to reach the local kids and invited the families with children to visit the Castle Hill Archaeology Project (CHAP) in Beaumont Leys in Leicester. The project had sent leaflets to the schools and these had found their way to Number One Son's book bag. Not that there were many kids around, but I could let Number One Son lose with a trowel, brush and a dustpan.

I really wanted to visit the site, since I had hoped in one point to take part into the community activities in Beaumont Leys, but I had then ended up in Sweden with very little time to spare to my hotmail e-mails. The only thing I remarked was that my old blog posting on Beaumont Leys (my professional blog, not this mummy one) kept getting continuous hits, making it the most popular I had ever written - just ahead the one that has 'Nazis' in its title, the sure-hit wonder, if there is anything (there is a reason for those Channel 5 and Yesterday Channel's continuous stream of Nazis with every single imaginable aspect of history and life documentaries). While I was whizzing between Leicester and Stockholm, the CHAP had started doing various things and now my child could get his hands dirty. The only thing is: how wise is this?


Down the Castle Hill

Considering my non-existing pension pot in three different countries (what is a pension anyway?), I would strongly wish my son becoming one of those nasty bankers - or at least a venture capitalist or a future Piers Morgan. I would definitely not take him anywhere near museums, ruins or - the horror, the horror - any digs. But am I a sensible parent? No. I keep dragging Number One Son to museums. We go to conferences with him. He is taken to different ruins. Now he was brushing the slates in a test pit. Do we want to have the same fate as the Orton family? To have a son to continue successfully family 'hobby'?

Whatever the answer, there I was, in the plantations by the Medieval hillfort. To add to the injury my son had decided to put his English knight top on in the morning. A Knight Templar for a Knights Templar site. We have no hope when he has access to exiting bones...

No comments:

Post a Comment