Monday 3 February 2014

Skype Mom travels again

It does not really matter where one is when one skypes. It seems that the light in the ceiling is always shining to the eyes of the receiver and requires changing and you are sitting in a darkish room reading a fairytale. Stockholm looks like Finland looks like Rome. This is not helped by the fact that I have a room with the windows very low next to the floor level, so I have to have a light on even during the day.

Nevertheless, for a distant parent the regularity of contact is the most important thing. It is not the child’s fault that you have to work away and you have to show your child that you care. This week I will have two social evenings in a row, which means that I cannot book or plan anything more before Saturday. Number One Son will need a couple of nights of regular good night story before any thought of another evening in a restaurant. In addition, I cannot be impulsive and attend an opening of an art exhibition I just spotted, but do the thing I promised today. Nevertheless, Saturday will be my last evening, so it would be nice to have a meal in town. People have lauded the artichokes this season and I feel tempted.

The tiredness in the eyes of Archaeologist Husband keeps me concentrated in work. One cannot be frivolous when the other half is carrying the can and taking the responsibility of any everyday activities. Luckily, it is not long until the half-term when I will be doing my share. And be nagged about the housework...

No comments:

Post a Comment